Ground Turkey Tacos Gallstone Protein Recipe
Daring Greatly – Cooking Protein with Gallstones
So when I was diagnosed at the beginning of the week with gallstones the doctor basically told me to “get all my protein from plants” then I was like “eat vegan” and they said yes. I’ve never eaten vegan before; clearly, one of the reasons I got the stupid gallstones. But I had no idea what eating vegan is, I was kinda thinking vegetarian, but that’s not it, vegan is no cheese, no animal proteins no fat, no dairy.
How do You Change your ENTIRE lifestyle and eat Vegan
Eating vegan sounds dreamy but I’m struggling with it. Thank goodness for the internet, I’ve done some reading and people are saying chicken can be a good protein if you don’t want to aggravate your gallstones. As a reminder, I still have a couple weeks before I can see the surgeon so I’m having to mitigate these gallstones as naturally as possible in the meantime.
What is “safe” protein when you Have Gallstones?
Basically, I’m trying to be satisfied and not break any rules. Anyone knows when you have a gallstone episode it’s debilitating, simply paralyzes you with pain. Today is a test to see if perhaps ground turkey will be something that doesn’t aggravate my gallstones. I will be honest and tell you if it sucks or hurts.
Making the Ground Turkey Tacos:
Today I’m trying ground turkey tacos with a little bit of cheese. I found some baked organic shells at the market, and I also have some flour shells on hand for a soft taco.
- I chopped half of a medium-sized yellow onion with my favorite Shun knife and added that to my LeCruset braiser that I had nice and hot with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- I sprinkled the onions with salt and pepper and then added about four garlic cloves and then finally added the ground turkey.
- When the turkey was nearly browned, I added a small can of Mexican salsa I had on hand. Really any salsa will do.
- I sprinkled in a small palm full of cumin and chili powder and hit it again with salt and pepper.
- Last minute I noticed I had some frozen corn in the freezer so I added about 1/2 a cup of that.
- Another last-minute item in my effort to be more healthful I took and chopped two huge handfuls of kale (kind of coleslaw style chopping). I had turned off the heat when I added the kale because it wilted nicely as I stirred it in.
- As an added touch I had a can of black beans on hand and I can’t lie, I added a teaspoon of bacon fat we had to it. (Probably sounds gross but until about a week ago we had bacon regularly).
- Also had some cilantro on hand so I garnished with cilantro, lime, and a little cheddar cheese.
What you need from the Pantry:
- 1 package organic ground turkey.
- Cumin – 1tsp
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- 1/2 yellow onion – chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, knife smashed and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 c frozen corn (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil.
What you need for tools:
- Chopping board.
- Braising Pan.
- Wooden spatula
- Dish towels.
So Did it Hurt? Are Ground Turkey Tacos Good for Gallstones?
Answer: I didn’t have a gallstone episode so I think they are fine. I will fully disclose I’m uncomfortable after I eat every time so if you’re in the same boat as me you should be fine. If you’ve done any reading on gallstones it will tell you before and after your surgery, you should eat small meals often so that’s what I did and I didn’t have a gallstone attack.